Monday, August 6, 2012

Monday...

Waking up on the little island of Cebu I was deep in that good spot, where you like where you are and love where you are going, from one beautiful island to another.  I was craving an adventure, a big sight seeing tour, but I had to make due with an ocean swim for sake of not missing my flight.  I swam to the dock, collected shells, marveled at fish, shook out the race tingles in my legs, and spent a lot of time happy that I am a girl who gets to see and be in all these cool places in a single lifetime!


About the time my hands were too full of sea shells I started filling my cap, then my suit, and finally I swam into a plastic bag.  I'm not usually a fan of trash in the ocean but I took the bag and made it my "treasure holder".  It eventually got too full and yanked at my bottoms in an annoying swim fashion.  Somehow an adventure, even a simple one like ocean swimming, is never really an adventure until something goes South.  Much like my usual wanderlust for exploring, I almost got ran over by a very unique little canoe!  Oh, I was up for that!  Like any girl clear out in the middle of the sea with jelly fish and sharks, I crossed my fingers and made a plan...

You guessed it!  I yanked off the cap, flagged down the canoe, and got right on board!  We paddled along the coast, with only one paddle we took turns, leaving me plenty of time to snap shots and sight see.  Except for the one time I took us way out to sea and never gave the paddle back, filling the canoe with so much water in the waves.  My new friend scooped out water and I tried to get us back towards shore.  It was my great adventure.  In the middle of those moments in the ocean, I just let yesterday's race and all the beautiful places that triathlon has taken me fill me.  I honestly still pinch myself at some of these days in my life, pretty surreal as so much of it is like a dream wide awake.  Of course the junk days do happen, but it's days like these that push them to the side to deal with later...
 A quick goodbye to my paddle friend and it was back underwater.  It amazes me how different all the ocean bottoms are, and the only one I've never seen that I REALLY want to is Tahiti...one day.

From the ocean to the bike, that's triathlon right!?  Except this day I was just holding the beautiful bike.  A very cool opportunity landed in my lap, I got to meet up with the Swift Carbon crew for the Asia/Pacific region, (Owners of the best bike shop in all of Philippines too), let me tell you it was AWESOME. Without a doubt the best way to really learn anything about a new place is to be with locals.  On the drive I was head first on anything/everything Cebu, it was better than taking a touristy adventure!  They were so kind and so warm, much like Masuda.  I of course told them all about him being Filipino and now I was understanding where he gets his charm!!

I was literally spoiled, driven from bike shop to bike shop (they own 2), meeting such wonderful friends in the community, being part of their day, and even given my very own race helmet!  I'm not kidding you, James and John - the shop owners, gave me a brand new helmet with Hawaiian flowers on it!  I'll wear it too as I've never been given a helmet and such a cool one!  AS with all things local, we then did lunch...
I ate that.  It's refried beans.  Just kidding, it really is pig blood with liver chunks in it.  After putting it on rice it honestly tasted okay.  If they didn't tell me first what it was I would have had seconds, but getting my brain over the idea of blood was a challenge, keeping it to only a bite.  Oh, we ate other things too...like fried intestines. Perhaps the best way to finish up a good trip was with good people, I now call Filipino family.
...and one more photo.  This is for Kainoa, he's snoring at the moment, but I am sure he will absolutely love the pool that awaits him in the Philippines! 

Aloha Ahiahi!!
Bree

6 comments:

Kathy said...

What a great day! What camera do you use underwater? I'm looking for something that works as I won't be able to take advantage of a warranty (since I don't live in the US). Have a great trip home!

Christy said...

I love reading about your adventures!!!!!
Welcome home

Dawn said...

I love reading about your adventures too! Your free spirit and love for life is contagious!! ;) What a beautiful day you had, love it! Yes, what camera do you use underwater? What a special mommy Kainoa has as an inspiration, thanks for sharing that w/us. Safe travels back to your family, take care!

Dawn said...

I love reading about your adventures too! Your free spirit and love for life is contagious!! ;) What a beautiful day you had, love it! Yes, what camera do you use underwater? What a special mommy Kainoa has as an inspiration, thanks for sharing that w/us. Safe travels back to your family, take care!

Lucy Francis said...

Enjoy it Bree, those moments when everything feels right are wonderful when they strike :-)

vman said...

Hi Bree! Yey! My picture(beside you and John) made it to your blog! Hehe! Thanks for honoring us with your presence, and let me just say, for an international celebrity, you are very humble and down to earth. We hope all celebrities have this special trait. See you next year back to your Filipino family.
-Bernard Vs