Friday, September 21, 2012

...In Mexico.

Round #3 here in Cozumel.  And yet, this place feels different with a twist of the same.  Funny how islands have that effect on us, same place but forever new.  My first trip I was in the North part of town, last trip I was in the smack middle of town, this trip I am further South from town.  I like it here, but it's way more quiet, as if the triathlon is not even here this Sunday.  I've yet to figure out if that's a good thing or a bad thing for a girl like me. I'm going to just make it a positive thing....

The flight was you know, long.  It got longer when the plane broke and we sat on the runway for 3hrs.  Extra taper?  Extra rest, I fell asleep.  By the time we landed on the little island of Cozumel it was too late for check-in. In fact it was about dinner time!  My legs were so eager to run, my lungs were craving fresh air, and my heart was having a little wanderlust, so I ran...
Found an aid station, skipped the beer, and kept on running. The legs began to wake up, come alive in fact, and all of a sudden I wished Sunday was a marathon not a half marathon, I want to run and run and run all over Mexico.  Travels like this always have that effect on my legs and soul. A highlight was running into a cowboy, he was about 70 with the heart and spirit of a child!  Something must be in the water here because everyone is so full of vibrance.  He was really curious if I was racing Sunday and invited me to ride horses with him.  You better believe it was me not the horse needing her reins pulled in on her.  Somehow life always, always lands me in an adventure overseas!  Of course, like any "professional" at work, I told him "Yes, but not till Monday", after the race.  Hopefully my Spanish was understandable, because I seriously will show up Monday morning and hop on a horse with that awesome 70 year old cowboy! 

By the finish of the run it was hotter than hot, I was dripping sweat, and now hungry.  A quick glimpse of the sunset, a peek out over the ocean to send some lovin' to my family back in Hawaii, and then I tackled food like nobodies business!  I'm sure now to be officially more stuffed than a pinata!  Skipping over desert, it was right to bike build up, unpacking, a shower, and then catch my breath.  This might possibly be the quickest race trip of all race trips, ever!  Seriously, it's already show time tomorrow and game face the next day!  Monday ride the horse with my new 70 year old boyfriend (Note to self: tell Masuda he has nothing to worry about), then on the plane by Monday at 2!  Talk about a roller coaster in Mexico.

This is the view from my room.  Oh, there are really great views, like the beach on the other side of my room, but right out the front door, just past the hammock, is this kiddy pool!  It reminds me of one thing, Kainoa, and that reminds me, "Get Kainoa's medal".

Alright, it is bed time, buenos noches amigos! 
Bree 

3 comments:

Shawna Barlette said...

Good luck Bree! We loved Cozumel too. Enjoy and kick some patootie.

Lucy Francis said...

Conzumel is on my list of races to do one day, it looks just as I'd imagined it. Gorgeous! By now you've raced and got yourself in 4th place, well done Bree. it looked like a tough field especially with Liz Blatchford fresh off of the ITU circuit. OMG take care on that horse today. Hasta luego

Lucy Francis said...

Conzumel is on my list of races to do one day, it looks just as I'd imagined it. Gorgeous! By now you've raced and got yourself in 4th place, well done Bree. it looked like a tough field especially with Liz Blatchford fresh off of the ITU circuit. OMG take care on that horse today. Hasta luego