Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Love Crunch...

 
That my friends is love crunch, it is one of my favorite bowls of sugar they try to sell as "good for you" at the health food store.  The name also gets me every time, "love Crunch", yummy.  Masuda texted me that photo today from Maui, he was eating it, not me, but I wanted it.  During lunch with Kait today, we talked all about the eating fun after an Ironman.  Then we laughed at my okole (another name for @$$ used on the island).  You know how after a huge race you get to dive into things you usually don't dive into, or even really like.  I dove in, dove right into 8 pounds in a week!  It was kind of awesome, well, laughing about it was awesome, not lugging it around!  Kainoa and I ate chocolate covered marshmallows (I have never liked marshmallows in my life, as a kid I picked them out of Lucky Charms), but it was fun and after an Ironman we do that sort of thing.  Other trouble included country fried biscuits and gravy (by the plateful), BBQ pork sandwiches, mango mimosas at breakfast with Masuda (not sure where that came from, they taste gross to me, I think we were celebrating-still), a few (try 8) spam musubi, and then my belly hurt by the end of the week.  So I'm back to eating normal again. In fact, I passed up the ice cream at Bible study last night...
 
Signing up for 2 races does that to a girl, puts "living large" aside, and I am pretty sure a week is long enough to become the butt (literally) of jokes at lunch.  What races you ask, Cozumel 70.3 (I need an island getaway!), and a mountain bike race-we can talk about that another day. The last time I did one of those I found out I was pregnant and flew down a hill on Maui. 
 
 
Kainoa and I landed back in the garden today.  It is ugly. So ugly we are claiming tomorrow "Garden Day" and digging up to start all over again after work/school.  This is where I plan to eat from after my gross marshmallow eating contest vs myself.
Kale-baked, stir fried, smoothied, is about to replace toasted nori over spam. 

Little pineapples coming up just in time to replace those wonderful little mochi balls I enjoy in abundance. (No fear island friends, they will still be consumed, slightly less than all of them).

 ...this could be a problem.  I picked the sweet potatoes a little too early, maybe the biscuits and gravy will have to stick around a little longer.
 Kainoa ate the corn...
Now that training is back into motion I'm feeling like me again.  Getting sweaty, sports bras, and run shoes has always been a favorite fashion of mine.  As for the ocean activities, those are not going anywhere, in fact I have a little secret, perhaps I have found my first ever superstition.  The Sunday before Philippines 70.3 I went surfing (a quickie, like an hour), yes 7 days pre race, and it worked really well for me, call it Sunday recovery or something.  I tried it again before Ironman Louisville, maybe in excess, I was out there for 7 hours the Sunday before (it was accidental and I got mad at myself for it, thinking I'd ruin my taper), somehow it did not.  The jury is still out on this, but I'm finding it creates a lot of family/friend time prerace (and that always sets up for a good race day), and it floods me with salt water, that is perhaps the best healing medicine in the world according to ancient Hawaiians.  If you ask me, healing is what we are supposed to be doing prerace, right?  Soak n' float baby, soak and float...

Enough ramble, my pillows just called...
Bree

4 comments:

Nick, Brooke ,Whistler said...

Nick wants to know what mountain bike race, he is on board.... Have fun, see you Monday!

Lucy Francis said...

You should see my okole Bree, you have nothing to worry about. It’s no chocs for me for the rest of my life :-)
loving your vegie garden

Kathy said...

It can be expensive coming here to race. LMK if I can help with airport pickup (CUN only, Feds frown on us picking up at COZ) or a place to stay (free) on COZ (though you'll not be in the tourist area).

Bryan said...

Bree, whats that ring on your left hand???