Thursday, September 27, 2012

Rule #13: Do not avoid love...

At the farmers market this morning it hit me (a lot hits me while fruit shopping), it hit me that a girl must never, ever, above all things, avoid love.  Avoiding love is unheatlhy, dangerous, and a waist of precious time.  It is a known fact that if you tell yourself not to think on something you will think on it.  It is proven time and time again in every love story that you eventually get your hearts desire-just not always in the choice time or fashion, maybe not at all like you envisioned...but you get it if you keep the hope...

This has nothing to do with someone taking the papaya I was eyeing this morning, not even anything to do with the man of my dreams.  It has to do with Ironman.  I, Bree Wee, love Ironman.  Ironman Hawaii to be specific.  It is after all, my back yard and every little girl loves to play in her backyard!  Over some texts with my sister, after I poured my heart out about a particular spot in my life having nothing to do with Ironman, I mentioned how I wish I was more brave, she responded in her firm manner (she is not the nice, cuddly sister), "Bree, you are brave, because if you weren't you wouldn't even be in this position".

Last year when Ironman rolled into town, I trained (maybe) 5 times with returning friends, I did not attend a single pre-race party I was invited to, skipped as much of the town hoopla as possible, and I cried, a lot.  Cried because I wanted to race Kona SO BAD.  I avoided something I love.  It reminds me of 3rd grade when I had a secret crush on the Mexican boy that was new to my class, he spoke no English so the teacher paired him with me (not sure why, I spoke no Spanish back then), anyways she must have thought the 2 of us would work well together in Math. And we did.  Then he moved back to Mexico to pick crops.  I avoided talking about him, questions when asked where he went, I wouldn't help clean out his desk, and I would not get a new Math partner.  Avoiding that (looking back) was not cool for a 3rd grade girl, she loses friends and lands bad Math grades.

Fast forward, I Bree Wee, will not avoid Ironman this year.  I will go train with friends in town for the race, I'll show up to a celebration or 2, and I plan to enjoy the hoopla.  Why, because I love it and you simply can not avoid what you love.  This morning was a very good example...

An invitation to ocean swim with friends doing the race landed in my hands, and I went.  I laughed, I enjoyed it, and I even ran into a few other visiting friends down at the pier in town.  Then I made plans to join a bike ride, a run, even be some body's "training beeotch" so she can have a push and pull when needed! It was so much more awesome than last year when I tried to avoid it all and landed in a mess of self pity.  Now I am in a whirlwind of, "This is awesome, how can I help and what do you need, and where do I meet up?".  

I am very happy right now, with a sport that has been so good to me.  And something Masuda has taught me, sometimes it is not even about us, once again this time it is not.  But I plan to enjoy it anyways...

Happy Training!
Bree
 

5 comments:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Enjoy yourself this next month (you are the true queen of Kona and they all know that)..

You may not want to hear it, but when your pro days end, not that I am pushing that (probably in about 10 years)... you can always do a Ken Glah and come back year after year after year as an AGer..
I think he is up to 30 or something..

ironmomma.com said...

I am coming to Kona to PLAY. Not even race, therefore I expect to be seeing you Ms. WEE!!!!!

JC said...

So great Ms. Bree - enjoy and soak it ALL in!
I bet you are making TONS of people SOOOOO HaPpY because they are hanging out with YOU:)

goSonja said...

Sweetheart, when I think of Kona I think of you. This race IS you, specifically this Ironman. You have had amazing experiences on these grounds and you owe it to yourself to celebrate your responsibility as a steward of this race.
Who has run down the finish line with a tiny baby? YOU. They don't even let people DO that any anymore.

Wise choice, embrace the love, you will help others, and help yourself as well.
xoxoxo son

Lucy Francis said...

Bree, I understand you prefectly. I've watched several of my friends qualify and they are all on their way to Kona this week whilst i stay behind.....I'll be glued to my laptop come the 13th.
We'll both make it to the start line come 2013! In the meantime let's make it the best of our situations and keep the love for the race alive