Thursday, October 25, 2012

Here I run again...

You might not believe this, or if you know me at all this is no surprise.  But I got on a plane, to Maui Tuesday afternoon.  I swam, rode my bike for a few hours, got caught in a wind storm that reflected my life (good and blessed, but so windy, you have to be strong or you get blown over).  On the way to get mountain bike shoes from Bike Works, I took a detour without any previous plan or intention.  This momma knew one thing, her son was at his dads for a week, while I was planning to be in Florida for the REV3 happening Sunday, and then the wind storm came, tornado like...

I'll leave it at that, a girl has her own story filled with all the details that would make a good movie.  Well, I firmly believe the best map in life is your heart.  At the red light, bottom of Ka'iminani, left turn was the bike shop, right turn was the airport.  Turning right, to Mokulele and for less than the cost of groceries for the week hopped on a plane that was departing in 19 minutes to Maui.  I stood there with only my wallet, phone, and the clothes on my back.  This moment felt like a 32 year old run away on a mission.  And I was.  But not running from anything really, I was running to keep the peace in my life...
 
Landing on Maui I found Masuda who had no idea I was flying over (but neither did I), grabbed hold tight, and he gave me the look I needed, "Everything is going to be okay".  Then we bought a clean shirt.  Also some run shoes, a sports bra, and run shorts (no comment on the purchases, they are very important parts of my life).  On the beach I found a million little shells, most of them broken but reminding me that they are even more beautiful sometimes after they have been wave washed, beach bound, and ocean drenched. 

I swam in the ocean with a dozen giant turtles, played in the waves while surfers danced, and floated on my back looking up to the sky, feeling so thankful for the good parts of life. Amazing how what you focus on really does take up more space in your thoughts.

We took a sunset run too...



Waking up to another run, Maui always has the best runs.  17 miles of beautiful valleys had me alive as ever.  Who knew all it took was a hug, a 37 minute flight, and less than the cost of groceries  to change the direction of the wind in my sails.   The best part of this morning was leaving the house with a single sentence given to me, "Do you have everything you need to be successful today?"  How can a girl not get caught up in finding a lot of peace in her life when you are given all that encouragement!?  I did indeed have it all...and more.
I ran and ran, mile after mile, doing something I am so very blessed to do both physically and as a big part of life.  Then I found a dollar.  Pennies always turn up in my life, but a dollar?!  It was a successful day on the horizon. That lead me to play a game, just start counting blessings...
This venture has shown me once again that changing the direction of the wind in our sails if we must, really will put us back on course. While not everyone can island hop for $39 bucks, I know off the islands it is possible to just get in the car and take a scenic drive to reset the focus.  And with just the clothes on your back it's easy to discover we really have all we need while the closet full of everything else back home is just bonus.   Here I sit on Mike's office computer, in my stinky 17 mile drenched run clothes and pictures from instagram, thinking about how tomorrow when I fly home and get on my bike I'm secretly not even afraid of how windy it might get in my sails...
Bree

5 comments:

G. Parekh said...

I love reading your posts. Keep writing and I will keep reading. You don't remember but I met you once earlier this year when I visited the Big Island. Loved your energy and the energy of the land.

run4daysbill said...

Thanks for sharing this, Bree. What a marvelous perspective.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Special

Lucy Francis said...

Oh My! It was like hopping on a bus :-). the thing is, some of us probably drive for longer than you were on that plane. So, good on you for surpising Masuda.
I don't think anyone ever feels like they have a smooth path through life (me included). I know I'm always questioning my choices and my actions, but we can only do what we can and as long as we do it with compassion and respect for everything and everyone around us, it's ok. Have a lovely Sunday (here is already cold like in the North Pole BRrrrrrrrr)

Dawn said...

Love reading about your little journeys and insights, they are inspirational. "I firmly believe the best map in life is your heart"... love that! Thanks again for sharing a little bit of your beautiful life. :)