Wednesday, October 10, 2012

My New Theory on Underwear...

 
un·der·wear
[ úndər wèr ] 1. Clothes worn underneath. 
Yeah that is the definition, somehow every year a Thursday in October that does not hold true and underwear become the clothes, the only clothes worn here on Alii Drive at 8am.  It's really fun, I admit. Parading around for a mile run in underwear makes me feel like a kid again.  You know the story, it began over 20 years ago when Ironman came to the Big Island and those crazy triathletes would run all over the island in Speedos.  The locals eventually made some fun of them, parading around in underwear (pretty much the same thing if you ask me), and now it is an annual tradition of a couple hundred bodies all in underwear on a Thursday in October...
.
So here is my theory, the new one I have for underwear...
If you do the underwear run you race Kona.
.
The last time I played in the underwear run (above photo), I raced in Kona.  That's me and Brandon, he is a local Hilo boy that was the youngest male in the Ironman that year, pretty cool.  Anyways, that year I raced because the prior year I ran in undies on Alii Drive.  In fact, the 3x I ran in undies I raced in Kona.  The underwear run is supposed to be fun, a relaxed way to let loose before the big dance and I now believe that if I run in undies I race.
.
Now, the year I skipped the underwear run I did not make it to Kona.  I remember it, I raced that year, I was "so focused on the race, no time to chill out for a moment, no time for underwear", and you know what... I never made Kona after that.  I skipped last year too, because I was sour about not racing, wanting nothing to do with the fun of it all.  And here I sit, not racing.  Case in point..."wear undies on Thursday in Kona, race the following year".  I'm taking my chances, I may be onto something here.  Tomorrow I will be in undies for sure! 
  
Even Kainoa agrees with new found theory, he has proudly supported the running in nothing but undies all his life!

As for what undies, anything goes of course and I've seen it all! I do have one rule I've followed since taking part in this parade of underwear... It goes like this, "wear a little more than those bikinis us Kona girls adorn the beach in, but less than the boys".  And my tighty whitey outfit for tomorrow is that above!! So much fun! 

Night from me!
 

5 comments:

Adrian said...

kona 2013, all the best!

Lucy Francis said...

I didn't know the story of how that underpants run came about?!
GReat idea and it seems like a lot of fun. Not sure what I would wear though....
Everyone looks so cool in those Y fronts :-)

Teresa said...

I believe in you!!!

sandi sandin said...

Run in your undies and bring good luck for the next year, I like it.

sandi sandin said...

Run in your undies and bring good luck for the next year, I like it.