Tuesday, November 20, 2012

While it seems...

While it seems as if most the triathlon season has come to an end, mine has not.  With the sun up, my bike and I still head out the door to chase down dreams and follow a path that I am so blessed to call mine.  Day one of landing the opportunity to race professionally the promise was made to never, ever take it for granted, I'm very good with promises. Still today, even through rough patches, it still holds true that this is where I am thankful to be without taking it for granted.  And when rough patches do happen, as they always do, the reminder to keep a promise becomes all the more worth it...

Behind the plumeria trees the sun popped up and a trip to Hawi became my work load.  It was my best ride.  Countless times I've said that only to follow it up with, "I really mean it this time", but  today I really mean it.  It was just me, everyone of my island training partners are pau for the year.  Something happens when you are out there all day on your own, character is built.  How strong are you?  How brave are you?  How focused are you?  How determined?  The answer always lands within us by the time we jump off the bike...

 You know what happens when we really brave the questions?  We want more.  That was this mornings lesson.  When you know the answers you don't fear the questions.  I love that feeling, to just know...So I rode and rode in swirls of wind.  And like I said, it was my best ride ever.  Then I hopped off to run and of course ran too fast from the start.  Maybe that needed to happen though, a wall went up and survival became my way home.  I literally had to do that thing where you pick a spot about 20 yards up the road, focus, get to it, then repeat.  I did that the last 10 minutes of the run, just holding on by fumes.  I loved it. 
...if you have ever raced Kona or ridden here, there really is something special about making the Hawi turn around, unexplainable to be exact.  The little town holds big possibilities when you arrive on a bike with a long way back to town...

Keep going,
Bree

4 comments:

Christi said...

You are such a great inspiration! Keep up the work and rock the remainder of your season!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I WILL make that turnaround!

Tina Marie Parker said...

Nice Job! Whoo Hoo :)

Lucy Francis said...

There is something special about going for a long ride on your own. If the weather is favourable (no rain, no ice, not too cold in my case) It can be one of my favourite training sessions because i end up talking to myself and vizualizing the race. You get a physicals as well as a mental workout and I like that.
IMWA is just around the corner for you :-)