Thursday, December 13, 2012

#10.

 Well.... it is broken.   My 10th broken bone. I'm okay though.  Despite a million nice messages of, "Badass, wow you ran an Ironman on a broken foot?", there are a few, "What a dummy", notes.  I like those notes too.  Maybe I was being a little ridiculous.  But seriously, how can you be all the way in Australia knowing its your last race of the year and a holiday rest is on the way and not keep going?  How can you just stop?  The rule heading into the race was, "stop if pain gets to a 7".  What is a seven to a girl who pushed a baby out?!  I mean honestly.  What is a 7 to a "never give upper"  to a "fighter".  To a fool?  So I ran and ran and ran, I fell somewhere near the half marathon part when the pain was so insane I couldn't stand on my foot. Maybe that is when the stress fracture broke all the way...

Who really knows.  Masuda, trying to keep my chin up, tells me I'm done now with my brokenness because everything comes in 3's.  Is that a Japanese thing or what?  Things coming in 3?  Well I did, I broke the washing machine before Australia, broke the fridge somehow during Australia, and ran an ironman right into a broken foot. 
Yesterday was the x-ray to check on the stress fracture (the one Kainoa gave me when he jumped off the couch on my foot).  Trying to keep light hearted, I went in with a smile, painted my toes, dressed up a little, laughed a lot being in a mini skirt for all the action, and came out in tears...
It was a break now.  I was broken but not broken....  What now?  The road to recovery.  No bike, no pool swims because I can't push off a wall, no running, nothing really.  Actually, if I promise not to kick I can ocean swim.  Slowly we will add in the bike when it heals a little more, at the moment the break is where I put pressure on the pedals, so that's out.  Good news is crutches and a cast are out too.  I pretty much begged to not have those things, if I promise to be a good girl I can avoid them.  Walking is ugly so I don't do it other than taking kainoa to class.  Sleeping hurts because I refuse medicine.  Dr. Traub, the homeopathic doctor of the year is on my case and he knows how much I avoid any kind of "fix the pain temporarly but ignore the problem" medicine.  He has me taking some bone building stuff and 3x3 of this other stuff (wish I could explain it better than "stuff"), but I trust him.  He said it will build up my bones.  And I agreed to this blood injection thing... I guess that hurts.

That's pretty much it around here....

 
Last night when I tucked Kainoa into bed he told me how sorry he is, I told him it's okay, the things that break us only make us stronger.  Besides how can you be upset with a little boy that sings Christmas carols at the top of his lungs believing in Christmas miracles.  He told me I would be running next week.  That is love....

Hope your holidays are off to a good start,
Bree


10 comments:

Bre said...

Sending you speedy healing wishes your way!! And that sounds really interesting abt the homeopathic side of it- hopefully it works some magic for you. And I was always told that things happen in groups of three, so you should be in the clear!

ltlindian said...

you really are amazing... a broken foot--4th place ironman. wow. heal soon. I can't wait to see what next year brings with a healed foot!!

Keebler said...

I have followed your journey for a while and just wanted to share one of my favorite quotes with you. "The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places. -Earnest Hemingway. I beleive that everything happens for a reason and you will be stronger for this afterward. Keep fighting and good luck!

Sincerely,
Wes

www.jdheart.com

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Character builder??

I think when people talk about character building in the future they need to refer to this race... TRUE GRIT! John Wayne would be proud.

OK people.... if you didn't see it, paste this link to your browser and fast forward to 54 seconds to see GRIT in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Rdt-A78yM

Speedy recovery!!

Lucy Francis said...

Oh Bree I understand perfectly your reasons for racing. I too raced last year with a stress fracture of the pubic ramus in IM Austria. In my case it took me 6 months before I could run again because I kept testing the injury.
Please, please follow the Dr.'s orders about what you can and can't do as the bone healing process is complex and when interrupted it goes back to square 1. Can you swim with pull buoy and paddles and do open turns at the pool? One leg drills on the bike?
Perhaps some gym work?
I'm wishing you a speedy recovery and remember that the bone will heal fully and you'll be training/racing again.
A tip someone gave me and actually has some merit: eat spinach everyday. All dark green leafy veg are rich in calcium. Take care

Damie said...

I am of course so sorry to hear this. I also have learned to very much believe that these things are part of sport. They will come at some point for us all- and multiple times. The set-backs are what make sports great. It is never going to be linear progression. great job getting some points out there- this will heal, and you will be killing it again. NO DOUBTS!!!! xoxoxo

Jackie said...

Are you sure that your foot wouldn't heal up faster if you were in a walking boot for a couple of weeks? Especially if it is so difficult to walk. It's hard to do but it might be faster healing. I've been there....good luck!

goeasylife said...

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope your healing process is quick and goes smoothly. You do have a very sweet son.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

sabina moon said...

Nice article. I think it is useful and unique article. I love this kind of article and this kind of blog. I have enjoyed it very much. Thanks for your website.
carbon wheel rental

sabina moon said...

Nice article. I think it is useful and unique article. I love this kind of article and this kind of blog. I have enjoyed it very much. Thanks for your website.
carbon wheel rental