Friday, December 7, 2012



I like it here.  OZ is a very unique place on Earth, there is so much life.  It is a place full of “on the go”, “let’s see and do”, “never sleep”, and “what next”.  Maybe that’s why Aussies are so talented, they just keep going, sucking up each and every drop of the day, making you work to keep up.

Today was my “Aussie” day, it had me hopping all over like a kangaroo!  Meeting, press conference, media interview, race meeting, expo stuff to tackle, oh and a lot of talking, socializing is huge here.  If you can’t keep up in sport you might have even less of a chance keeping up in conversation.  As for parties, let’s just say I have heard a lot about how this after Ironman party is going to go down.  Right now it is the word on the street that it begins during the race!  It is only Friday yet I keep hearing Monday.  Monday was brought up in excess, a Monday dance party?  Who dance parties on Monday?  Aussies do and it looks like all of the Ironman will be too, as soon as we hit the start line…

At the moment there is very little kangaroo in me, think of me more as a very chilled out Hawaiian gecko.  I’m watching The Vow.  It is a known fact that prior to all races there are few things more exciting to me than laying around watching chick flicks.   I rarely have time to watch movies in my life, so this is thoroughly enjoyed. Alright, enough of that chatter, now one for the tri-peep followers who read this purely to follow the parts of my tri-life…




Interview 1, 2, and 3, all brought up the same question:  “Why Ironman Western Australia?”  Other than loving Australia and wanting to return, the answer is Kona.  As a professional triathlete you can’t race Kona unless you travel the world and collect points.  It’s really that simple.  There is much debate within the professionals.  Is chasing points selling yourself out to Ironman?  Are you losing your love of the sport?  Is it healthy?  Maybe for some.  Depending on who your sponsors are, being in Kona is also part of the job.  I lost and gained support on both ends, by being or not being in the World Champs.  At the end of the day, as a professional triathlete it sums up to this, I want to race in my back yard, again.  I’ve sat out twice now because I didn’t chase points.  I chose races that I respected, that I love, that made sense with my life as a mom, and races that gave me other opportunities. Truth is, the points won’t land in your lap, they won’t just happen if you have a couple good races, you have to go grab them.  And while you might not enjoy everything it entails to get them, you will get closer and closer to your goal.

With the loss of a few sponsors I’ve started teaching again when I can, as a matter of fact Friday before I flew out here I was in the class all day making money to see a dream through.  I want back in Kona.  I just don’t know how my life is going to work out, every time I imagine it up to be spectacular it belly flops then jumps up into something unexpected that turns out better after the storm ends.  If it was an ideal world I’d be a happily married woman, with a couple children, a husband to adore, and be looking at triathlon for many more years into the future because I had the support & endorsements to do that.  But you know, I landed a divorce and got pretty slow at triathlon for season or two trying to gather my life again.  Now I’m in a good and healthy spot where I am realizing dreams again, again, Kainoa is the bigger deal in them and so are all the people in my life.  That said, I just have to go grab this goal right now and then see where life takes me.  Sunday I will go enjoy the race as much, maybe even more than I always do, and while I’m at it I’ll collect some points to go with Kainoa’s medal.  Sunday is a 2,000 point race, a top 5 will get you between 1,200-2,000 (I only know this because we were talking about it in the pro meeting, turns out the pros that want in Kona do their Math).  That is a nice start to the season so I'll go grab me as many points as I can while pushing myself as strong as I can, and of course enjoying the opportunity as much as I can...



Thankfully, Mike is Japanese, (ignore me if you think I’m being judgmental), but he is really good at Math and number games (not just Sudoko), Ironman points too. He is going to help me map out 2013 in such a way that I can gather points, plan races when Kainoa is at his dad’s, make the most of travel, and hopefully land in Kona in October.  And of course, I’ll keep my side job of teaching to make ends meet. 

Alright The Vow is over.  I need to put on movie #2 now and stretch a little.  That flight Kona and drive from Perth is still lingering in my butt just a little.  2 more sleeps…

Bree

6 comments:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

OK, only the Sudoko comment went over the line.. :)

Chase that dream Bree, my chase comes in 2014 and it isn't Kona.

kakes773 said...

Good luck, Bree! Hoping for the best for you and dreams come true. Hopefully I'll be able to watch you race in your backyard in 2013 :-)

Kathy said...

loving your updates from Oz! Chase that dream, girl. Make it happen.

sabina moon said...

Nice article. I think it is useful and unique article. I love this kind of article and this kind of blog. I have enjoyed it very much. Thanks for your website.
How does a triathlon work

sabina moon said...

Excellent blog you’ve got here. It’s difficult to find high-quality writing like yours nowadays. I really appreciate individuals like you! Take care!! You can visit my site.
TLR Carbon Wheels

sabina moon said...

Excellent blog you’ve got here. It’s difficult to find high-quality writing like yours nowadays. I really appreciate individuals like you! Take care!! You can visit my site.
TLR Carbon Wheels