Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Fresh Pineapple...

Why float when you can swim?  Yesterday was my first official pool swim since I broke my foot and it was every bit as awesome as I remember!  That is if you really enjoy waking up early to freeze in the pool surrounded by people that have become family over the years, I do.  It was so exciting to have send offs again, to race with lane mates, to have a coach calling the shots.  My kick was missing in action and I landed all of my splits way slower than they were 5 weeks ago.  But I'm far from discouraged, in fact I'm beyond encouraged!  The thing about a sitting on the sidelines is being able to look at things from an entirely new perspective...

If you ever feel unmotivated, loose your desire to train, lack zest for something you once loved, or just fall short of wanting to be where you are, take a big break.  5 weeks will change everything for you.  You will want it more than ever, you will crave it, you will be refreshed.  I'm an ocean girl, I learned to swim in the ocean, but yesterday morning there was no place I'd rather be than in the pool (going rather slow for me).  Pushing off the wall with one leg was more fun that not pushing off a wall.  Learning to kick all over again and fighting a clumsy foot was a welcomed challenge.  And...I am sure, 100% sure my kick will come back...

Monday was Day#1 on the bike.  14 miles baby!!  Masuda took me out for the spin, not that I need help on a bike, but I need saving from myself.  The foot felt pretty good, except my strength to click in and out of my pedals was missing, causing a few mishaps.  Well, I felt good, really good, as if my endurance never left my body, only speed and strength.  I wanted to keep going, out to Kiholo. Masuda made me follow doctors orders and turn back, starting off small and building back strength.  Isn't that how life usually goes, we just chase quickly after the things we want?  It is for me, until the patience of my dearest Japanese friend takes over...
Then Yesterday...
I, Bree Wee, went out solo.  And I rode to Kiholo because nobody was there to tell me that 36 miles was too much for day #2 on a recovering broken foot.  I wanted to ride 100 miles.  Monday is x-ray #4 and hopefully the one that says my foot is good-to-go, then I will go 100 miles and more!  Have you ever seen the Kentucky Derby? Or any horse race?  That is exactly how I am feeling.  Like one of those horses in the stall just waiting for the gate to open so it can be set free, to just go.  Passion certainly sets us up for a thrilling ride, while this broken foot has been far from easy some days, as I near the end of it the big picture is revealing a lot of "maybe" what I needed without knowing I needed it...like patience. 
In other news, I did in deed sign up for my first race of the season.  Hapalua Half Marathon.  It's just 56 days away and while I've yet to run this year, I am still running it.  Perhaps the lack of pressure (like last year, to out run the Kenyans), has me feeling like nothing to lose and everything to gain.  Maybe that will be the theme for my 2013 season.  I am so happy to have races on the horizon...

Aqua jogging here I come!
Bree

1 comment:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Just in honor of your Australian performance I decided to slam my little toe into a chair 5 days before the Houston Marathon. Broken? Who knows but sure feels like it.

I took a poll on my blog site whether to run or not. 3 to 3 so I ran...

My results weren't quite like yours but it was a finish...

Gimpy in Austin....