Thursday, February 7, 2013

Shine On...

Extremely in LOVE with this photo (that Tammy took), because it's totally the story of my life.  Big storms, little rains, sand, sun, clouds, turbulence, some fear, a lot of beautiful, floods, and then...a rainbow.  It has been such a good week getting back into the simple things that cause me great joy, like running.  Like seeing friends who run.  Like breathing deeper and learning to catch my breath.  Mostly learning to let the things of the world that trip me up just fade away...
Today I ran 2 miles!  Seriously, ear to ear a smile flung across my face.  I already know that in 4 weeks and 4 days is the Hapalua Half and 2 weeks later is the Ironman, I'm just excited.  Of course goals and times, splits, and pacing, nutrition, and of course what to wear (the girl in me gets excited about that!), has all taken up space in my head, but rather than make me nervous about my lack of miles, my heart just finds happy.  AND then...a note.  Last night when my focus of what I wanted rather than appreciation for what I actually have was upsettingly strong, a note came from the guy that won Hapalua last year.  Maybe this is his story meant to share with me, but I'm passing it along (some of it).  He's one of the greatest men I have been fortunate enough to meet.  He is a family man that landed with a major injury last year and of course (like most) a need to make ends meet financially.  Of course it wasn't all about money, he runs by heart, but he went out there with a few 6 mile runs and won the thing.  He passed along his fabulous workout to me, it perhaps is best for people like us that love to run but are not able to go as far or often as we want, our body-not our hearts, make us face patience till the legs (my foot) is ready to go again.  He was a 100 miler a week guy and got pressed down to a painful 25 miles a week.  His little workout is now mine and close to my heart it will stay as I too, run by heart...
The other rainbow are these women, I am always shocked that mom-friends have landed in my life!  I'll never be just Bree Wee the triathlete and on the bleachers it is all about girl talk, men, recipes, periods, movies, dates, our kids, police, booty yoga, and stuff better left unsaid.  I'm not sure any of them even know how far I ride my bike and that makes me feel like a million bucks to be seen as more than a finish line I've crossed (not that I'm not proud of the life I get to have).  By the way, our shared recipes this week really should land in a cook book along with the comedy we could make of our love lives...
Okay one more thing...
Coconut Girls Massage is still VERY much in action.  They did move though to the little outside grass shack and it's even better!  Today they fixed up my foot and hip that is funky from pushing off a wall with only the right leg.  Actually I'd really never even be able to have afforded a broken foot if it weren't for Coconut girls, Oden with the rehab, and Dr. Traub.  What looked like a $5,000+ situation has not cost more than $900 thanks to their help.  I think God gave me some of the best people in the world...
 That's it.  But before I go, here is a little love note from Kainoa...

Bree

3 comments:

Lucy Francis said...

such a love though for the other runner to share his story and give you soem tips. It's never easy to recover from injury. It looks like the worst is over. Keep it up Bree

Lucy Francis said...

I meant *lovely thought* ...typos !shhh

JC said...

yeah to running! That little Dude of yours has a heart of gold!