Friday, March 29, 2013

Bike to beach and back...

 ...and so I chased one of my dreams all the way to Australia, did a belly flop, and now I'm home on the island dusting myself off.  A really wise coach once told me, "Never make a plan right after an Ironman.  Just sit for a week.  Better not even write out anything either, your thoughts and emotions will change a dozen times and you'll drive yourself & those closest to you crazy."  He was pretty accurate when it comes to me as an athlete.  Right after the race I could only see blur through my tears and instantly went back to the drawing board.

But I was patient. 

For the week my blog remained calm while the week of emotions went full force.  The reflection was something along the lines of, "Next up Ironman Texas, I need an Ironman full of points and the race is hot."  I joyfully went on the 19 hours of travel from OZ to Kona certain of that thought.  Landed home and saw Utah 70.3 in 4 weeks and  figured I better do speed work.  Took that off the map, how crazy am I to recover then race again on "no training". Then I just about threw in the towel.  My off season and base building season had no training, I had nothing to build my season upon...

Ironman Texas got taken off the list, 7 weeks away.  But it would be the same story maybe only slightly better.  And so, with a week of emotions parading and a girl on a mad dash to figure out her triathlon journey, I'm just going to train for a good block of  several weeks straight.  Uninterrupted.  It's as if I am "just now" coming back to sport.  I have to get on local start lines and take a few good beatings from the locals in better shape than me, I have get my heart rate up, do speed work, even tackle a long run more than an hour and 24 minutes!  (I'm still impressed with myself even thinking an hour and 24 minute long run was alright to start an Ironman on).  I'm actually very excited about this.  To go from start line, recover, train a week or 2 or 3, maybe rest a week, then back to the start line (the usual pro triathletes program) means you actually need a block of training to hold all that race-recover-repeat...my foundation is a couch and that is a lousy place to build your confidence off...



The other pretty good part of this new plan is that it makes it a little more possible.  I actually had no financial way to even get to Ironman Texas!  Now I can teach a little here & there and save up some money to go race.  I spent the last 2 days teaching 1st grade, once again the reminder of how beautiful and precious life truly is took over thanks to a bunch of 6 and 7 year olds!  I have to admit, it was very fun putting on dresses and having my hair down too!  Teaching will forever be a rewarding job to me and I am thankful for the days I land in the class.  Of course I peeked out the window a few times at the sunshine and missed my bike, got reports of all the dolphins on my friends swim, and dreamed about triathlon.  But my reality at the moment (having no financial sponsors) means I need to work teach.  As for missing the training, I'll find a way, I always do...

My last 3 days of "post Ironman recovery" are shining down.  Today I finally sat in the sand and caught up on talk other than bikes, speedos, and run shoes.  These moments with the girls I always treasure as I know they happen less when I full swing into a  focused training block.  Tomorrow we planned the Waimanu hike, its active exercise "but not training" on the 2nd to last day of post-Ironman week, and I KNOW for sure days like that will not happen again for a long while.  And then Easter on Sunday and maybe looking for an egg will be the most of it, hopefully pancakes with family too!  Then comes Monday and it me on a mission...

Shh, I did hit the gym today though, it's hard to hold myself back when I see a training map in front of me! But I'm patient, I know that the rest now will be better served fully recovered when it's time to make swimbikerun count!  As for the yoga stuff my sister thinks will really help me, I'm still landing on my head...


Happy Easter Weekend :)
Bree

6 comments:

Kathy said...

sometimes it is hard being a grownup. :) GREAT plan!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Part of living the dream is waking up and revamping the dream plan. Chin up, lots of dream left!

Brunei Share said...

Dear all, what do you think about My Videos on :
Go Hawaii
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieJZDISi6_E
Thanks
Greeting from
Brunei Share
http://virtual-bruneidarussalam.blogspot.com

Ashley Serrago said...

Revel in the freedom of not training. Now is the time to have fun and try new ways to exercise. You never know what might stick and be great cross-training material. Also give yourself credit, you trained hard and pushed through the finish line. Too often we can get caught up in the "chase" of a goal. You made it! Congrats!

Lucy Francis said...

And when you've made a decision when next to race, we'll be right here and ready to support you.
Hey Bree come ride with me after work :-) or you can join my run group on the Hampstead Heath trails...all in the dark of course :-)
Sometimes we do what we have to, to support our dreams and hopes, that's what's life is all about. I have no doubt in my mind that you will find a way to combine the teaching/training and racing at the moment.
Happy Easter my lovely

sabina moon said...

Nice article. I think it is useful and unique article. I love this kind of article and this kind of blog. I have enjoyed it very much. Thanks for your website.
How does a triathlon work