Thursday, April 25, 2013

Mind Over Matter...


My goal for this week has definitely been to get the most out of every day, every workout, all of it.  I'm teaching first grade again tomorrow so that has a lot to do with it.  It feels better to just go wholeheartedly, physically maxing myself out, knowing a day in the class is like a "rest day".   Not that teaching is cake or anything, but no matter how many laps around the classroom I take, it wears me out less than a big run or ride.  Keeping positive about the balance of "triathlete" and "teacher" has been going pretty good too, it has to be done to afford start lines and honestly, those children are good for me...


Yesterday was my big day of the week, almost 7 hours and I can say it was the best long day of the year so far.  The new bike fits like a charm, rides like a breeze, and has me very motivated to put in the miles (new bikes have that effect, right?!).  It was so hot out there, the winds were nasty, and somehow I managed to get headwind out and headwind back.  Right off the bike it was into my shoes.  I'll be honest, I sat in the back of my truck for longer than any transition should be.  It was literally that hot out or I was just that cooked after the ride.  Mentally I had to use the IPOD for survival (Tuesday I skipped the IPOD on the ride and run!).  The songs were my cheer leaders and literally counting, 1-2-3-4-5, 1-2-3-4-5, 1-2-3-4-5, was how I shuffled through the run.  It was of course on Queen K, that encouraged me to push on and make it count because I REALLY, REALLY want to be out there in October.

After all that it was swim.  Okay, I literally ate my weight in bacon, eggs, rice, and spinach first.  But then I swam.  Rather than the usual masters practice, I opted to kick my already pooped butt just a little more by joining the Kona Aquatics High School team.  They swim roughly 2,000 more than us and I of course need at least that much more.  The entire swim was a mental pep talk to hold on, to commit to making the entire workout.  By the time we finished a kick set, I was feeling on top of the world. Not at all because I mysteriously felt physically awesome, just because I made the choice to put mind over matter and make the swim count...


This morning I woke up to find my stomach in a knot, that bacon wrecked me.  Without fail, I rallied all the fruits and veggies I could find in our garden and kitchen, then drank the rainbow throughout the day.  I'm much better this evening and do not recommend that much salty bacon ever, to anyone, no matter how much salt you crave after a Queen K torture! 

This morning was Bree vs Bree.  Physically my legs were eager to go, the heart was pumped up for the speed session, and I kind of needed this more mentally than thought possible.  It was the speed workout I was supposed to do before Hapalua Half Marathon but never managed as the foot was still hung up.  Coach gave me splits and said not to worry if I miss them, just get close as I can and see how far we have come and how far we have to go.  Well, I made them.  All of them.  It was a big challenge reminding the legs to move quicker than they have in a long time, but it hurt worse mentally.  You know when you hold on in your head and are just about to crack, it was like that for all of them...all the way till the last 400.  Without a doubt, the more speed work we do the less our minds mess with us, so I'm not too worried, it will get easier each time I get uncomfortable...


The day wrapped up with these goof balls!  If a girl ever needs to be reminded how to have fun in sport, she needs to look no further than any child...

Good night!
Bree

3 comments:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I think I hear the words "Field trip!!"

"Boys and girls, get your shoes and bikes we are riding to Hawi on a field trip"

Bre said...

Your blog posts always lift my spirits and remind me to see the good and positives that are in my life. Thanks for always inspiring me!

Lucy Francis said...

what a great training day Bree. Your bike looks gorgeous. I agree with you that mixing it up with the youngsters keeps reminding us of what all this training and life is supposed to have - FUN
Swim teams have an ability to do that because of all the kids, same with mine, I'm always so grumpy in the morning and those kids are already full of life at 6am! I wish my cycling club was like that too :-(.....