Thursday, May 23, 2013

Calm before the butterflies...


Race week is really, really close.  It excites me sometimes to the point of not being able to enjoy it.  I've tried everything from embracing it, being part of all the activities and group training sessions, and pretending it's party week.  I've also hid out, stayed completely off my feet, and only read books.  Both approaches have landed their fair share of good results and belly flops...

The best things I've learned and try to remember...

1.  Enjoy every training session since they are fewer now (I love training)
2.  Have fun with the triathlete friends from other locations
3.  Trust.  Trust the plan you have & the work you have done
4.  Do chill out a little bit
5.  Think about the race, but not over think it


We are trying to maximize sunsets, as usual.  It always helps me to sit with friends and family that I've had before I ever got into triathlon, somehow we never end up talking about triathlon. I really love the escape from protein powder flavors, new gels to try, and what I will wear race day.  Admittedly, I do love to talk about those things too though, and mile splits, how far I rode bike, and what time I should go to bed. Just not during sunset, or at the beach for that matter...


 Last night was the moment where the athlete in me was full on living right through all the other roles of my life.  We had 2 of the fastest high school girls from Hawaii, Kiwi pro Julia, and one of the strongest masters guy swimmers all throwing punches of trash talk like kids do.  It got as competitive as swimming 3 of us at a time down the lane.  I loved it.  It felt like being a kid again where you have no intimidation or fear.  You just go hard and talk smack as if you might just be heading to the Olympics.  Of course we are not anytime soon, but our lane had that vibe and somehow, for the first time at masters, from a push, I finally broke a minute in the 100 free.  The high school girls and Chandler do it all the time, every practice as if it was as easy as taking a bath, not me.  They pushed me tonight and finally, it happened... I'm pretty sure it was a 58, for sure a 59, and without a doubt less than 60 seconds.  I'm not sure its repeatable without all the fun we made our lane last night. Somehow it did in deed show me that an overabundance of fun in something you love can actually be good for you...



My yogi sister has really been helping me a lot with the "just breathe" philosophy.  It has never been easy for a girl like me who runs around life with a handful of dreams to just chill out, to patiently wait for some of them to come true.  She challenges me mentally more than some of my workouts do!  But, it has helped.  I can run far now without an IPOD, be on my bike and actually "be on the bike", not looking at lava while wondering about dinner.  She is teaching me things about myself and lack of limitations that baffle me.  Today's practice (and sincere laughter in attempt) was about the most fun I ever imagined yoga/focus stuff could ever be!  Notice though, she can put her hand in the rocks and not feel them, I on the other hand needed a mat, not quite there yet...

With race week so close, I am really embracing my butterflies, they are filling me with pride.  Pride because I'm about to do something I love and something I have put a lot of heart and sweat into.  They are also reminding me to keep humble, to know that sport has a way of teaching us lessons that matter in so many areas of life.  Alright little butterflies, let's calm down a tiny bit so I can sleep...

Night!!
Bree

5 comments:

Ordinarylife said...

you and your sister are amazing! Good luck with race week and the up coming race. I will be cheering from a distance as I do for all your races.

mark provenzano said...

best of luck in your upcomming race Bree! I will kick off my season June 2 and am so looking forward to it! Love your blog :)

Lucy Francis said...

Bree I haven't yet found the perfect pre race routine to reduce the butterflies. It's good to know that I'm not alone in this.
Having your training partners around on race week is such a luxury and just the best, I think.
OMG I love that one hand stand! That's just amazing, you surfer girls have such great core stability.
Lots of hugs from a very sunny and hot Portugal :-) (back to cold London tonight ooooh)

Mungalup said...

I love reading your Blog, you're so positive about everything. It changes my attitude.

Regards from the Southwest of Western Australia. (About 60 miles away from the Busselton Ironman).

Kathy said...

you never stop opening yourself up, do you. Amazing! keep it up, you're looking great!