Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Easy Does It...

We are here, within the walls of race week.  This is such a funky time for me.  Yesterday was only a little swim, it had just one little section of 200 repeats that always feel easier in the ocean than a pool.  Chandler was the man who's feet we chased and without those fancy flip turns at pool practice, he lost his way to drop me.  It was nearly perfect, except my boobs were barley fitting in my top, too much information for any guy readers (my apologies) but mostly girls read this anyways and I know they can relate. Bigger boobs once a month means one thing...darn that for race day.

It's Tuesday, I'm seriously very excited to race.  It's helped having really good training buddies lately, including another pro girl in town this month (Julia Grant).  Seriously, I wish she would move to the island, it's a different ball game having a girl to train with who is really strong, compared to the boys or so many solo days.  Oh, I do enjoy training with the boys, but when they run off at 5 minute pace it's too easy to just say, "That's okay, they are boys, fast boys always will be faster than fast girls".  With Julia in town it's been more motivating than usual.  I'm finding it helps with the intimidation factor fast girls sometimes bring too, turn them to friends and let the challenge of getting faster with them begin...


Our ocean has been unbelievable the past couple weeks.  Tons of surf, lots of swell, and chop.  I love choppy swims.  By the time Saturday rolls around it should be calm, of course my fingers are crossed we land some waves up at Hapuna to make the swim more my style.  And terrific news, Mike is working the swim! His buds are in charge of paddling around, keeping us on course, and watching out for Jaws and Jelly fish (Jellys were all over up there this weekend, heads up if you are coming for the race).   That excites me to know he will be out there with me, somehow that makes me feel safer too...

Today was run squad, how I wish we had a dozen pictures to share of that run!  It began exhausting for me, race day blahs?  Rest not kicked in yet?  Lazy feeling from an easy yesterday?  The need to worry fled pretty fast, after a pick up or two it felt as if I was on fire.  Taper is so weird like that.  I'll share our workout:

4x30, 4x100, 3x1:30, 4x:45 seconds.  It was a good one to shake out butterflies, loosen up the legs, rev up the engine, but not go to the well or tap into Saturday.  

Again, perfect company out there really made all the difference.  And I have to say, it was a first Julia and I were not the ones out of breath, but the boys! We did that thing good training partners do, hoot and holler to keep up, push, find a way, and bring each other up to speed.  Then you know what I read, "girls break each other down, women build each other up".  It's funny how many girls don't like to train with each other for fear of seeing weaknesses or whatever, but I'm learning from having a girl training partner a little bit this month, that you only get better when you help another get better...

Alright, 4 more sleeps...
Happy Taper!

Bree

3 comments:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I have the same problem with my boobs. Luckily I wear a one piece when I race :)

rr said...

Splish sent the same top to me - tie back, right? And I have the same issue. Passed it on to a smaller friend and she loves it. I can't wait to get a bigger one!

Good luck on Saturday. I won't be there this year -I have a wedding to attend. Sending speedy thoughts :)

marian said...

have fun and go fast!!!