Thursday, May 30, 2013

I should Swim...


I'm not the smartest girl in the world, but I have found that following my heart is the smartest choice I repeatedly make.  It's a very safe spot.  The hard part about race week for me is following my head. Or my plan.  I just feel so lousy during race week and my brain plays tricks on me.  And so I return to listening to my gut...then coach...then the plan...then friends...then the plan...then back to my gut...then Mike...then my brain...repeat.  

Yesterday there was only one thing on my mind, getting to Hilo with 3 boys for Mikes birthday.  That meant an early bike ride (check!) and a solo swim (ugh...).  The swim was by far the worlds worst swim of my entire pool life.  If a lifeguard had been actually paying attention to me, he would have rescued me.  My head sunk low, face towards the ground, and a little bit of sadness swept over me as the chlorinated mess packed my bags for Hilo.  Swimming has been going so good, remember I actually swam a 58 in the 100 free, from a push, at practice!  Only to land at the bottom of the pool with no lifeguard to save me...

We drove to Hilo, swim behind me...
 

Told you following your heart is the greatest thing we can do!  Mike was so happy we landed his side of the island (remember, he is in fireman school over there for a year).  My butt really hurt after that drive but everything else felt so good to see him happily surrounded by family!


Kainoa and I took a time out, in a hammock of course, to focus a little on the upcoming race.  Then, poof!  I stopped.  Because a girl like me should not be using her head more than her heart, ever.  It was driving me crazy and lying to me.  Honestly, you want to know why I think this is happening?  Because last year at the very same race, going into the race I was swimming really well.  Then, I swam bad in the race, just flat.  Enough thinking, back inside to do more important things, like spend time with the birthday boy...


Today I took a stand, actually a run.  The plan:  30-40 minute easy run.  That was it.  Thankfully waking up in the land of mochi (Hilo) meant running to a sunrise.  It was perfectly made for me, if you ask me anyway.  I felt kind of blah on the start of the run too.  But I know why, I wasn't running happy, with my heart.  I was overthinking (with my head) this entire rest week and not enjoying the simple act of running.  With that, I looked around, saw pretty Hilo, felt happy to be on the same side of the island as Mike (and worlds best mochi), got excited to race because I love racing, and just let go...

A rainbow literally lit up the morning right after that!  It does help that Hawaii has more rainbows than anywhere in the world, but I took it as a sign that when it comes to my secret weapon, it is listening more to my heart than my head...


The 3 boys and me drove back to Kona side and my heart kept saying, swim.  Swim.  Swim.  Swim.  Kainoa had swim practice, I brought my suit, and when he was out of the pool I asked coach if I could jump in with the high schoolers.  He is always so kind to me, he gave me some very uplifting words, and let me jump in.  You know what happened?  I had a very good swim.  It was not on the plan, I'm not type A personality, at all, but I feel bad not following a plan that coach specifically wrote to me, and Mike has taught me that if I always add or subtract to coaches plan we will never know if it works.  I agree.  But this time, this day, with only a 30 minute run and a lousy feeling about swimming, I had to override the head (plan) and follow the heart right into the pool.  Good thing I did...


The "take it easy week" is going much better now that the swim feels better again.  And my butterflies are very calm as they have all been fed with backyard goodness whipped into a smoothie!  Seriously, our little garden provides!! 


Okay, I better get to sleep now.  Tomorrow is the night before the race and those go like Christmas, kids just struggle to sleep Christmas Eve, myself included.  The bike is ready, bags are pretty much set to check in, and Kawika left us a bunch of Summer Mangoes at the front door...all set.

Sweet dreams.
Bree

7 comments:

Lucy Francis said...

You're the local star tri girl and the island is going to be cheering you on race day. You'll have a great one and everything will click into place, you'll see :-) my last race, I couldn' t run the 2 weeks prior to it and biking was reduced due to snow....guess what? I had my best race ever and did a huge PB! Good luck Bree

Kathy said...

have a great time, Bree and a great race too. Your heart will lead you and your legs will follow.

Tina Marie Parker said...

The boys are getting big! What a fun time. DOn't listen to your brain. Coach syas, if you have done the training, you'll have a great race. Bree, you've done the training. Just go do what you are good at!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Dont let any of the girls forget:
YOUR ISLAND
YOUR RACE
YOUR DAY
(in fact chant it while around them... nothing like a little Macca strategy)

simple, isn't it?

Adrian said...

Have the bestest day on race day!!! Will cheer you on!! And go collect that 500 points for Kona!

Lucy Francis said...

Wow! on the podium Bree :-) well done chick

Lucy Francis said...

Wow! on the podium Bree :-) well done chick