Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Rekindle...

In the midst of "motherhood, training, some teaching on the side, life, love, family, friends, garden, beach, ect", I forget to update.  Today I got an email from a long distance reader of my triathlon journey asking about motivation.  While I always find it a little humbling to receive such encouraging notes,  it does motivate me to keep writing knowing that someone might benefit from my mistakes or discoveries.   She asked me for help with motivation as she wants to "rekindle" her passion for sport.  Oh, I been there, maybe all of us have.  When the day we wake up and just don't feel like going.  Katie, this is for you, Hope it helps...

1.  Remember you are human, at most a mother or father, lover, a sister or brother, a coach, teacher, or hold some kind of 9-5 job, you have to make dinner, pack lunches, fold laundry, be there for friends, make time for family, a taxi for yourself and others, mow the lawn, sit in traffic, walk the dog, kiss your husband, read bed time stories, call and wish your grandpa happy birthday, see the dentist, clip your nails & pluck eye brows, have garage sales, buy groceries, pay bills, mail letters you forget to write, and then...after all that and more... you have to lace up shoes, put on a swim cap, and put air in your bike tires.  THEN, you can swim, bike, and/or run....

Deep breath, you are human.  To find no energy, to simply loose the zest to train, to have a lot of other things on your plate, it is okay to feel your desire slip through your fingers.  Give yourself a tiny break and look at all you tackle in a day.  If you are up to your eyeballs in a fluster of overwhelming emotions, just breathe.  It will be really hard, but turn off the TV or computer, grab a book and sit still.  Just be still.  Somehow even 10 minutes of doing nothing can give you 30 minutes worth of motivation to move your tired body. And if you are seriously fried mentally/physically take a week off training, somehow when we are injured and have to sit out for a week or more all we want to do is be able to train, so fake a "reason to sit out" and sit out...

2.  Take 30.  Coach Jimmy always says, "A 30 minute run is like gold".  It really takes only 30 minutes to get a pretty decent workout in.  Just force a 30, when you are done you will thank yourself and 30 is enough to actually see results too if you are working towards better health.




3.  Find a new path, trail, our pool.
4.  Run or ride to a designation.  It always excites me to ride or run to some place and not have to ride or run home.  Mike has let me out of the car many times so I can run to the beach.  Try it, have a buddy or family meet you there with your change of clothes or to catch a ride home with them.
5.  A new swim suit has always motivated me!  Check out Splish sale suits, $15.
6.  Sign up for a race, post your goals on the fridge, don't quit, go prepare for a race!  If you are struggling massively take an adventure race, my first pick would be my friend Krista's race...See Here.  You will be in Costa Rica with some incredible company (The Lovatos) who are known for making sport amazing!



7.  Get help.  Sorry, life is hard, really hard.  Sometimes we need help, even in sport.  Tell your best friend your goals and beg them to help you make them happen.  Maybe its simple, to just run a mile or 2 every day.  They can text or call you to hold you accountable.  Or meet you for the runs!  It could be a big goal, like an Ironman.  In this case you need super support, like finding you on the side of the road during hot runs and long runs to give you water bottles and cheer you on.  Thank these people, they are like treasures...
8.  Join a team or club
9.  Start a blog.  Trust me on this, I was not a fan of starting one when I did.  Life feels calm,  pretty simple,  as a mom, friend, girl with a super boyfriend, and good family, I never imagined words written about my days become motivating to somebody somewhere or to receive back as much support as I have been given.  But is has really helped with keeping sport fresh.


10.  Eat good.  Seriously, something about good food makes you want to keep your train on the track.
11.  Get a coach, a good book, or subscribe to triathlon magazine.
12.  Tune up your bike.
13.  Buy really bright shoe laces!  My favorite trick, the brighter the better if you ask me.


14.  Remember to be patience.  My garden teaches me this.  Finding results in sports can sometimes take a while.  To see mile times improve, or be able to run further, to drop time in the long swims, all those big mile stones are made up of days and hours of hard work.  Hard work on little things.  Be strong, keep going and one day trust that you will see some growth.


15.  Remember a good moment in sport.  I hold tightly to these bands from the Ironman I did with a broken foot.  You have to keep reminders of great moments close, they will help you go for more great moments.

Finally, have fun.  If you are able to be active at all, you are in the fortunate population of us that do not take our good health for granted...

Bree

8 comments:

Rachel said...

wow, katie read my mind. i too have lost motivation. thank you for your list. tomorrow is a new day.

Athena said...

Thank you..I have also lost my motivation. Thank you for reminding me of what is important in life

Lucy Francis said...

And now you can add motivational speaker to your list of jobs Bree :-). Katie we've all been there. Hang in there as the motivation will comeback, usually when you sign up for a race.

mark provenzano said...

I second motovational speaker! I have been working through a foot injury so swim and bike have been it for me. Missing my weekly runs messes with me a bit.

As usual great stuff Bree!

Alex said...

Great list!

Tina Marie Parker said...

Thank you for the update :)

Ashley Serrago said...

It is so important to take stock in what you value, where you want to spend time and ultimately what makes you happy. I'm glad you see the bright side of things and share them with the world. I've posted a link to your blog on mine because I enjoy reading it so much! If you ever need help with the swim contact me at https://www.facebook.com/SerragosSwimmers

Imke said...

I love this post!
Motivation is really important, and the basis for enjoying triathlon and being the best you can be in the sport.
I'm currently reading a great book about mental training for triathletes, which is like a fourth discipline that can be trained for as well!
Reading your blog motivates me to train, because some day I want to participate in the Ironman on Hawaii.
Blogging is motivating as well, especially getting comments!

Although the going inside onself and really asking: what do I love with triathlon? Why do I do it? is the greatest source of motivation.

But enjoyed all of your motivation tips.

:)