Saturday, June 22, 2013

It's all about the run...


This one and only photo from today's news paper pretty much sums it up.  I really want to finish.  It's the run and me, perhaps one of the most beautiful run courses on the Ironman circuit, it holds 26.2 miles that I need to run...

Tomorrow will be special for a lot of people, for many reasons.  Just parading through the bike/bag drop you could feel the emotions.  First timers so unfamiliar with the entire routine of blue, red, and green bags full of everything we need to manage 140.6 miles.  The pros looking so confident while racking their bikes as if it is second nature.  On lookers in amazement.  Volunteers just wanting to be of the best possible assistance.  The men and women hungry for Ironman slots to Hawaii.  Nervous lovers that watch their athlete go through the butterflies knowing it's time to let them fly.  Training partners happy the day is finally within reach.  Its both exciting and exhausting.  Whatever the personal case may be, it holds true for all of us, for some reason we are on the start line...

As with everything in life, love, and sport, I've grown a lot stronger.  Finally the courage has come to go to places that need me to meet them head on and get over them.  This is one of them.  At bike/bag drop today I looked at the horrible corner where I gave up in 2010.  Where everything in life, love, and sport just seemed too much for me and I wanted out...so I quit. 

Today my friend Sue, the mother across the street from where my homestay is, went with me.  She knew about that corner because in 2010 she was the one that found me there and picked me up.  I would have had no problem going at it alone today, but I would have cried.  Tomorrow my little sister is going to run all 26.2 too, so Ill have her with me...

Kona Marathon is tomorrow, at some point in the day we will both be running our marathons at the same time.  Together.  We both told each other our run goals.  Secrets sisters keep.  And we made a deal, if ever during the run we are tempted by those demons, as most of us are sometime during a race, we will silence them knowing we have to do this together...she has her reason and I have mine.

Okay Ironman CDA, lets go...
Bree

7 comments:

JC said...

Go get it Chica. Xoxox

Laura Matsen Ko said...

GO BREE!!!! cheering so loudly for you from oregon

Dawn said...

Catching up with your blog... and cheering you on from IL! Go Bree!! Kick some marathon booty today, you got this! :) Thx for always *inspiring* us!!

Julianne Kanzaki said...

Beautiful Bree, just beautiful. You are currently running your marathon now and I am praying for strength in body, mind and spirit. Your resilience is inspiring, and I'm glad you're back at Ironman CDA to finish what you started. xoxo

Shawna Barlette said...

Well done Bree. Watched your finish live. Awesome!

Lucy Francis said...

Bree you killed the CDA demon for sure :-) and you stayed in the mix for most of the day. Lots of hugs

Kathy said...

great job bree! You took back that DNF!