Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Butterflies and the Beach...

 

Today I got really, really strong butterflies in my belly.  The kind that you want to catch with a net and save for a rainy day, when you need excitement.  I am not sure why this happens to me nearly 10 days out from every race, no matter the distance or location.  But it does.  Why do some athletes have these butterflies so strongly and others breeze through race week without a thought in the world baffles me.  I know butterflies mean you care and mean you are excited.  Mine just seem to be really loud and make me almost sick.  I just want to talk for a long time with training partners or friends who feel like listening to a lot of ramble or I want a hug.  Usually both.  They make it hard to sleep too...

This morning was a favorite kind of training day:  Run intervals and ocean swim.  I'll get to that in a second.  From sweaty to salty sea was pretty much the day.  Having all my family here for Summer sure was a great escape from the butterflies.  Who am I kidding, they followed me...


We floated...


We jumped...
 

We hid under over sized hats from the sunshine...

Back to the butterflies, when mine are really loud they sound like this,

 "Go pack, are you packed?, want to take a run, get out of the sun, you should nap, what gel is your favorite right now, yay back to the Philippines, I love the Philippines, wish Kainoa was coming along, think positive, my shoe laces are so awesome, if I swam the way swimming has been going at practice this will be great, oatmeal for breakfast, I'm not packing a towel, maybe somebody will have a bike pump I can borrow, passport, I want a new book for the flight"...

Its still going, they have more parading going on than that.  One thing I have discovered though, through many races of learning to "embrace the butterflies" is that it's nearly all stuff that is okay and within control.  Anyways, if you are at all like me and have a flock of butterflies that go wild in your belly before any race, here is a little something I learned-Write it down.  Seriously, write down everything that you are hearing, the soft and the loud.  Make a list and look it over.  If it is stuff like training worries calm yourself by reminding yourself of the work you put in and results you have seen in training (if you haven't done squat use that as a warning to do work next race).  If you are hearing stuff like, flat tires, the competition, heat, cold, hills, ect-that is not in your control.  You can only worry about your attitude to each of those things, like having a wetsuit, wearing sunscreen, your pace, and being prepared in case of a flat.  My point is, check out your list, deal with it, use it as a tool to better prepare or a reminder (like pack the passport in my list).  You got this...



Back to this morning, Fernanda Keller and a bunch of other legends were all at the pier this morning, including Hines Ward.  It was awesome.  Having people slowly begin the trickle into town for October has me all the more excited for my next two races, just wanting good days so I can grab my points to race at home, here, with all of them.  My swim was recovery from the morning run intervals.  With some smarter than usual thinking, we are training right on through Philippines.  So I am not really having a big rest, like I plan to take for Canada.  This is good news for me, I love training and am not ready to chill out just yet. I'll share my run workout though, just in case you are in need of a little Summer run from my training plan rather than your own.

Warm up, include some pick ups.  Main set is 10x1k.  I'll be honest, I am not good at thinking in K's, so I actually just called it half-mile repeats.  You make your own call on that.  The goal is to build each one so the 10th is your fastest and each one building into #10 gets faster.  The trick is to be brave enough to start strong and "run interval pace", while making sure to knock off time each one.  Then cool down.  Happy running,

Bree

3 comments:

mark provenzano said...

I was all set to tell all about making a list when half way through your blog I read it! Its exactly what I do and it works. I can be anywhere when a thought about the race pops up. I keep paper and a pen in my pocket and jot it down. Really helps come race day!

miles99999 said...

I have been meaning to post to give you props for the pic of you in this months issue of Triathlete magazine, shame that it wasn't captioned differently (wish you had won that race).

Keep training hard and good luck with your Kona quest!

Lucy Francis said...

I've followed your lead and swam with my waterproof camera today in the beautiful lake Zurich :-)
You'd love it here (+ it's 100F = Huge heatwave)
I identify with what you're saying: I pack, check and recheck everything so many times it's like OCD. I also have lists that I tick which help a great deal.
And then all of those questions? did I train enough? is my bike assembled ok? and it goes on and on...We're in this together chick! :-)