Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Be Tough...

Today I am so tired and it feels AMAZING.  It feels to me like 2007, the year I learned how much we can actually take on in life and manage to rise above being just being mediocre.  Honestly, I thought I'd get really good at sport having "just sport" to focus on, things like training camps, not working, and nice funding.  But I really didn't do justice to that season.  Today I was talking to a mom friend during our kids swim practice and it hit me, I was better.  Maybe not faster, but better!  Back then lacked excuses, ridiculous complaints, I just found ways, I was my own super cheerleader every single day (often a million times a day)...

Yesterday I taught all day in the 1st grade, then got Kainoa to his swim squad, and finally his dads.  After that I felt like the 90% of triathletes that have day jobs and family...I did my swim and run in the late afternoon right into the dark! AND I loved it!  I was running in the dark, under stars, with a smile on my face that could light up the street.  Woke up this morning to 6am swim squad to do it all again!  But today I had off teaching and ran-bike-ran.  My key word on the second run was "tough".  Mike sent it to me and I said it 78 million times during that short 30 minute second run.  No need to be fast or anything fancy, just tough it out. 

I'm convinced that life just works better for me when I live life so full like this, because at the end of the day, it's all I have ever wanted out of life.  A family, to live out a dream, and to give back (teaching is my giving back).  It feels so good, even if I can barely keep my eyes open right now...


My day finished with a nice note for the pocket too.  It's the little things.  That said, I do indeed have a plan for the remainder of the season.  You ready for this?  The Halloween run on Halloween (told you it's exciting!).  For real though, who can resist the urge to dress up and race down Alii Drive trying to out run the reaper??  Count me in.  Then, Novemeber Lavaman Keahou, nothing like a back yard race and something to "tune up" before the big one.  Drum roll please.... Ironman Cozumel.  I am so excited.  It was Arizona, but I decided against an unknown course with a wetsuit. Australia sounded perfect as I LOVED it last year and want to return without a broken foot. seriously that is one of the best races in the world, but the thought of Pinatas ruled over.  The timing was right, 10 weeks leaves me with a good block to sit on the island making $$, train without travel, be home with family, then return to a race I've been at 3 other times without a wetsuit.  Nice. 

Alright, I should be heading to bed soon, another big day awaits.  Not to mention all the Ironman Peeps are on island right now and have extended some training invitations, have me motivated, and continually remind me that they are in a position I want to land...so my 2014 goals are never out of sight. Oh, check it out, I got to meet the owner of my last years bike!  She is taking really good care of it.  Soon I'll be having to let go of this seasons Swift Carbon too, so if you are interested let me know.  It's size XS with SRAM red, used a very full season, but taken care of.  And please, no ridiculous emails asking me to just give it away.  I wish I was in that financial position, but the bike always pays for my first race travel of the new season.  So unlike shoes, wetsuits, and swimsuits I am not able to just give it away...sorry.

My pillows now call, good night!!
Bree

5 comments:

Heather said...

Stoked for you to take on Cozumel again!! Not sure if you recall a small moment from the grocery store in Cozumel in 2010 before the race where you said, "hey nice shirt" to me in my KSwiss shirt. Then you commented on how hard it was to find anything you needed....I felt bad because I should've tried to help you as I speak spanish, but I was in a hurry (husband was lost in the store somewhere lol). This time if you need an interp in the grocery aisle lemme know :). I am stoked to take on that race again too! Enjoy the rest of your season and kick some ass in Coz!!

Lucy Francis said...

And the best way to deal with the lack of a Kona slot is to have a few races lined up. I'm already doing the same. Balancing a job/training has its own pros and cons. It's not all bad. Plus the money it brings does remove some of the financial worries which is always a bonus. I hope your bike goes to a good home. I'm too far away to bid unfortunately

Adrian said...

Cozumel! cool! Was hoping it was going to be Busselton, would have been great to be on the same course as you again! Enjoy! 10 weeks as they say!

Kathy said...

I KNEW it! (well hoped it). should be a good time, as usual! LMK if we can offer any assistance and if you decide to fly into CUN instead of COZ and it isn't during school pickup, we'd be happy to pick you up.

Brigit said...

Just wanted to say thank you! I check your blog often for inspiration.You are amazing and I love to follow your journey. =)