Thursday, September 12, 2013

Na Wahine...

2008 Na Wahine, I went back to race it as a 1st year pro...

Sunday officially marks 10 years since my very first triathlon, The Na Wahine Sprint,  over on Oahu.  So much for taking a little breather after that point chasing all over the world & Vegas 70.3 last weekend, I am returning to Oahu Sunday to CELEBRATE!  All week has been pretty special to me, the floods of memories since that first race up to this moment now have been somewhat surreal.  I'm a late bloomer, leaving me with no doubt that the best is still yet to come...

That day back in September 2003 was pretty hilarious, a surfer girl in a 2 piece, over sized bike helmet, and enough nutrition to fuel an Ironman.  Of course it was like most all other "firsts" in life, a little awkward, then awesome, and before long you're hooked...

Who in the world (not me) knew that a little sprint race would impact my life so greatly.  I of course took a break before eventually doing another triathlon, spent more time surfing and teaching than lacing run shoes, and also took time out to bring Kainoa into this world, but above & beyond, my life is so much better for that first morning I racked a bike (in the wrong direction), and became a triathlete.

Triathlon has given me courage to face challenges beyond swimbikerun, it keeps me inspired to live life rather than let it pass me by, it makes me feel better about eating too many burritos, it has led me to meet some of the most amazing people in the world that have become lifelong friends, and it has taken me to lands so far away & beautiful that I will forever be changed for what I have experienced...


In honor of my 10 year anniversary I think it's only fair to celebrate with the people that have been reading & supporting me through this blog too, so I have 2 give aways from 2 of my favorite supporters.  A bikini from Splish (size small) and a pair of shoes (size 8.5) from Zoot. If you win I will send them to you, heres how you win... first two people to answer 10 questions that would be pretty obvious from reading this blog.  Email me your answers, breesy4@yahoo.com.  I'll let you know if you won!  Good luck...

1.  Who was my very first sponsor ever? (hint, they are still with me)
2.  What were my first Half Ironman and first Ironman wins?
3.  My very favorite country to race in is....?
4.  My favorite LONG ride fuel?  (hint, it's a local favorite)
5.  What is the name of our swim team here on the Big Island?
6.  Name the first triathlon I ever did & the last one...
7.  What race did Kainoa cross the finish line with me when he was 1 years old?
8.  I broke my foot during what Ironman?
9.  The man I think is the most handsome in the world?
10.  The other sport I love?


9 comments:

mtanner said...

1. Who was my very first sponsor ever? (hint, they are still with me) SPLISH
2. What were my first Half Ironman and first Ironman wins? HONU AND LOUISVILLE
3. My very favorite country to race in is....? PHILLIPINES
4. My favorite LONG ride fuel? (hint, it's a local favorite) SPAM MASUBI
5. What is the name of our swim team here on the Big Island? KONA DOLPHINS
6. Name the first triathlon I ever did & the last one... NA WAHINE SPRINT/ VEGAS 70.3
7. What race did Kainoa cross the finish line with me when he was 1 years old? HAWAII IRONMAN
8. I broke my foot during what Ironman? IRONMAN WESTERN AUSTRALIA
9. The man I think is the most handsome in the world? MIKE!!!!
10. The other sport I love?

SURFING

I want the shoes!

Danica said...

Congrats on your 10th anniversary! You've had a career to be proud of :-)

1) splish
2) Honu and Louisville
3) Phillipines
4) Spam Masubi
5) Kona Dolphins
6) Na Wahine Sprint/Vegas 70.3
7) Hawaii Ironman
8) Ironman Australia
9) Mike
10) Surfing

I would take any prize but would really love the shoes. Bikinis go into hibernation in Canada until about June 2014 and I'm most definitely NOT a size small.


ltlindian said...

Gah. I had 4 of them wrong. Dang. Congratulations to the winners! I wanted the darn shoes too! I don't think my arse would fit in that bikini.... lol.

Fun contest anyway! Thanks!

Lucy Francis said...

Oh Bree I don't deserve to enter as I've only been following your blog for a couple of years but I do clearly remember seeing a pic of you carrying Kainoa over the finish line in Kona at the world championships (2007?). I've also only learnt about Splish through you.
Your first half ironman win was the honu half.
Mangos on the long rides, Mike is the most handsome man and you love surfing. Racing in the Philipines is your fave. IM Melbourne broke your foot :-(

Lucy Francis said...

and of course how could I forget your win at IM Louisville? You champion chick :-)

Damie said...

I had some chuckles over the fact that I could answer these questions on spot. Boy have I been reading this blog for a long time! LOL! Take care, Bree!

Kathy said...

didn't know about the spam but now that i think about it, you did post (?) in one of your Hilo ride posts i think. :)

everything too small for me, so not in the running. have a great race today!

PipTook said...

LOL! I'm in the opposite fix as Kathy - everything's too big for this idjit! (Size XS with size 6.5 feet.) What a shame - I LOVE both the bikini and shoes!

Meaghan said...





I love that I know these answers about you, from reading your blog for so long!!


1) Splish was your first sponsor
2) Honu (70.3 win) and Louisville (IRONMAN WIN!!))
3) Phillipines :)
4) Spam Masubi (had to dig for that one!!)
5) Kona Dolphins is your swim team!
6) Na Wahine Sprint (first tri, AND racked your bike the wrong way!)/Vegas 70.3 last one you kicked ASS at!
7) Hawaii Ironman (love this!)
8) Ironman Australia :(
9) Mike for an adult, Kainoa as a kiddo!
10) Surfing!