Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Like Mother, Like Son...

Kainoa has broken his arm. The way I figure it, he's part me, that means this was bound to happen.  Not that it makes it an easy pill to swallow.  The first day of Fall Break we take a hike, it would be Kainoa's longest at 5 miles round trip. Going up was normal for a kid, "This is long, I'm tired, are we there yet?".  At the top was typical for a kid too, "This is the best, I love it, so worth the hike, you were right mom!".  And so he played, he tripped, he fell, he broke his arm.  It was gross looking, the elbow was turned backwards, my stomach sank for him while trying not to throw up (things like that on a child really make me ill), I tried to piggy back him out of there as bravely as any mom would do, only making it hurt worse, so the brave little boy walked back down the hike like a champ, smiling through tears...

After a quick surgery using pins to put the arm back together, he became my teacher...


Sometimes in life, things go absolutely, unexpectedly, not your way.  If you focus on them (me, my, I) then they only get worse.  But if you focus on what surrounds you, what you still can do, what you still have, who you have, then things get instantly better. Instantly. No swim practice for him, no surf, no ocean, no climbing trees, no monkey bars on the play ground, all that stuff a kid loves (insert all the swim, bike, run, ect. that you miss when you are down and out if it helps you get my drift), so he starts a list of other things he can do and jumps right in!  He grabs markers and goes to swim practice to see friends and get his cast signed, he reads books about the ocean, he plays with his cousin other games.  It has been an incredible lesson for me.


This morning I had a long run (the length of Alii and back).  Knowing that ever woman, child, man, young and old, would be out there putting on the final touches for Saturday, I got to thinking about "me not in the race", "my wanting to be in the race", "How I missed it". and then I was grumpy.  Called Mike in Hilo, being a sobbing baby. As luck would have it, he reminded me about Kainoa and the "me, my, I".  So I ran with the intention of soaking up the energy of those in the race, their happy, their excitement, and what I could give to them, it literally made me happy.  I loved running Alii after that pep talk, I was in paradise after all...


There are so many amazing people in town, not just the professionals that sparkle and shine with speed and pretty bikes.  I've met new faces, caught up with some that I've shared start lines with earlier in the season, laughed with sponsors, and been reminded that one of the reasons I love this sport so much is because it makes me so damn uncomfortable.  I'm always having to grow, learn, and face fears thanks to my swimbikerun passion.  That said... I ran on Sunday.

Sunday was the PATH run, its a good cause, raising some money to keep the sport life safer here on the island. Part of me was never intending to do it, not on my race plan actually.  I ran because I'm not fit to race at the moment.  For me, that is the perfect reason right now to race.  To fire up the motivation while in the midst of training hard for Mexico, to find comfort in discomfort, and to quietly always keep that humble pie in check.  I wanted a 38 for the 10k, that would be good for this moment, missed it by 8 seconds and tried to ignore the talk at the finish line of everyone being slower than usual thanks to a long course.  In stead I wrote, "suck" on my time card and hung it on my bathroom mirror.  Might not sound very positive but I really like it and it wakes me up knowing I am better than that...

 

Okay this I have to share, since family will always be my favorite part of life, look at our golfing practice!  Hahaha!  If you know our family at all you can totally see each of our personalities in full force.  If only Seth were in this picture it would be a Christmas card.  This moment was all inspired thanks to Sammy getting a higher test score in 9th grade than Mike got on one of his tests over in Hilo.  Ahh, nice to be a competitive family...


These 3 photos are just because I love a man in uniform and having a family day...

 This is running away from the hustle and bustle of Ironman in town...

This is where everyone that is here for the hustle and bustle of Ironman should go eat:  Umekes, its on Hualalai and will pretty much amaze your mouth.  Okay, that's it, off to the expo I go to grab underwear for the underpants run tomorrow. 

Bree

2 comments:

Lucy Francis said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Kainoa. The pins have to be the best as they offer instant stability whilst the bones heal. It sounds like he behaved admirably . Defenitely not a wimp :-)
Can I cry with you? I'm not in "that" big race on Saturday either, God knows how i tried to qualify this year. Let's draw some energy from those competitors to fire us up for 2014.

JC said...

Your little dude is strong.... So are you. It's great to focus on the motivation that works for you right now in the moment. Be inspired on Saturday and enjoy it and pull from it for YOU. Hugs