Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Random Airport Musings...

I dont have a picture to post because I've yet to ask the high schooler to teach me how to upload pictures from a phone. Since I'm writing from a phone the Spelling mistakes are sure to be more than usual too. This now feels like a book without pictures. Kainoa has just upgraded his bedtime stories from those cute picture books I love to chapter books, I miss the pictures.

I think that is what life is trying to teach me right now, to take what I see and tuck it in tight to my heart. Simple. Because sometimes I focus so much on the view I miss the lesson. And its teaching me to just listen and from there paint a picture in my mind...

Anyways, I am at the airport. 2 flights down and one to go. My heart races from total excitement, thankfulness, and being in the moment, to a little bit sad. Not a lot, but a little. And not the bad sad where you are unhappy, im happy, the kind of sad where you would like to be in two places at once or have all that you love at one time. Kind of ironic on the way to Mexico to be eating at a burrito place, but I am. A family at the table next to me is so precious, on the way to grandmas for Thanksgiving. Now I miss my family. I wish they were all on the way to Mexico too.  Now there is a man paying and came up 7 cents short, I would have given him money if another girl in line didnt. If you stop and look around there really is a lot of good going on in life.

You know what I think is sad? The people that wish they were on the way to Mexico to hideout from their families. Not my place to judge, sorry God. I guess im just so thankful for my family and friends. Maybe after youve been blessed to see so much of the world and travel, there really does come a point when home is the most beautiful spot on Earth and even all the bickering and disagreements that happen at home are more special than spending a holiday alone. Not to say I dont appreciate solo adventures, some of my best ones, when I was 15 or that trip to Nicaragua made me the woman I am today and no picture could paint for me what I learned having time shared with just me.  But I have also found Im a royal pain in the ass and when I leave for races im always faced with those moments I maybe took for granted and didnt appreciate or give just a little more to my loved ones.

Maybe thats why travel is good for the soul, sometimes it helps us return home better versions of ourself. Kainoa got his cast off yestetday, Im so greatful to have been home for that. At school he read a book with his class about being thankful and told me his favorite part was when the mom said she is most thankful for the day the doctor put her baby in her arms. I wrote kainoa a note last before my flight and tucked it in his backback, I wrote that im most thankful for the day the day the doctor put him in my arms. I cant wait for him to read it, In some small way I know it will bridge the gap of the distance from Kona to Mexico and make him feel special on Thanksgiving. I feel the same about Mike. I miss him a lot when I see lovers experiencing travel together, but you know what, I always end up smiling just knowing how thankful I am to have him to miss. And at the end of every travel trip when I get home there is nothing I saw more beautiful than when I walk into the door of home and see him and the boys. So for now, its just work, ive got a 140.6 mile job to do Sunday, and one I absolutely am passionate about and the best part is always landing back home after a finish line somewhere further from home...

Boarding call, make good turkeys! Monday night our family celebrated and we took turns saying what we are thankful for.  It was Mikes idea and it has had me smiling since. Try it tomorrow, take turns and see how good it feels to say what you love and hear what your family cares about.

Bree

6 comments:

JC said...

Love this - Happy Thanksgiving Chica! XoXoX

swimfin said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy Mexico. Rock that race!!
Lynn

Wesley Everett said...

Best of luck this Sunday! Several people from my hometown, Lubbock Texas, are going to be racing with you. They are all great people, and will treat you like family if you need anything. Tell them Keebler or Wes said Hi.

Keebler (Wes)

www.jdheart.com

Lucy Francis said...

Happy Thanksgiving Bree. I've often wished that I could scoop up my home (my little bit of heaven in the middle of a noisy city) and take it with me when I travel. There's no place like home...I know :-)
Your family is missing you too but you will be back after you've accomplished your goal on Sunday and there will lots of hugs I'm sure.
Come race day you won't be alone as we will all be thinking of you and cheering online so please smile for the camera when you cut that finish tape and win IM Conzumel :-)

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Race hard and dont stop at the "Freedom in Paradise Reggae Bar and Grill" on the south side for margaritas in the middle of the race... my PSA for the race..

Adrian said...

All the best Bree, podium finish on Sunday! WIll be cheering you on from Montreal!!