Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Swimming Sucks.



Swimming Sucks. Forgive my lousy attitude, but that's just what it was.  Wednesday I knew coach had a "swim test set" on the plan.  I've actually never had one (that I remember). Only run and bike tests.  I think of myself as a very accomplished ocean dweller.  Safe, at home, in love.  When it comes to pools, racing swim, and places in the water where you have to go fast, I get scared.  I can go deep, hold my breath for a while, swim with sharks and whales, and tackle waves bigger than me, but swimming fast scares me.  Maybe because I've convinced myself I'm not that good at it and when it looks good it's luck.  Sheer luck. 

The test set was 2x100 at 1:10, 1x100 at 1:05, repeat 8x on 1:20.  If you are a pool swimmer that might sound like your native language, not to mention simple.  I've never held that.  I can "make 1:20" pace for bunches and bunches of 100's but holding 10's and 5's scared me and I set myself up for failure with my attitude.  Well, first I set myself up for success, I called in some fast friends that find that set very, very easy, to keep me company. 



 

This morning I backed out of the driveway then pulled back in. Got out, grabbed paddles & a buoy, then headed to the pool.  There goes my second time attempt at "predicting failure", a crutch, just in case.  What a pretty pool and a lane with the company already warming up.  Yikes.  Karylnn asked if I was ready, "Ugh, no, been dreading this all week, I'm just not a swimmer". Could I possibly be anymore of a Debbie Downer?  Third statement of failure lingering from my mouth.  She told me to jump in and just see what the body can do.  The set arrived and what do you know?  It was easy.  Ok, not easy like a warm up, but it was honestly not hard.  Perhaps having been so horrified by it set me up to believe it would be a nightmare, yet the company provided motivation and swim speed that I have never experienced.  That said, "Just because you have yet to do it does not mean you can't do it".  Frank, the leader of it all and one hell of a fast man asked me after if I was a swimmer, "No", I told him.  He made me change me mind, a little...



Pat on the back.  No, I'm not afraid to fail or try, that's why I love this sport so much.  I just forget to believe.  Anyways, I took this entire week off work to have a focused training week on just swimbikerun.  Everything in me knew I had to make it count.  If I wasn't going to be in the class making money I had better be banking some dollars in training...


...And today I wore this shirt Zoot sent me last year, for the first time ever.  Because today, it counted.


Next up was my run.  It was another test set.  No sea breeze.  No shade.  Nothing but "hot like Texas".  3x4miles at my goal pace.  I'll make this part quick, I was not in class today SO this had to be WORK.  I worked.  It was beautiful.  Until I puked at round 3.  Yet that was pretty in some ugly way, must have given it my all.  Over the moon with this day.  Over the moon with the support I have been given.  And over the moon that today I was given an opportunity to make the most of...


Good book.  Feet up.  Tomorrow I am riding my bike to Hilo.  Across the island we will go,
XO

Bree

9 comments:

Betsy said...

I love stories that end with "and then I puked".

run4daysbill said...

Keep it rolling, Bree. There are a LOT of people out there who are pulling for you. :-)

Bill

Lucy Francis said...

I wasn't a swimmer when I first decided I was going to do triathlons. I had to start with lessons then masters sessions back in 2004/2005. I'm only starting to feel like swimmer now. Karlyn is the best at coaxing the inner dolphin in each one of us so you had the bst people on deck and in the pool for your test.

bre said...

So happy the swim set was a success and you nailed it. I wish you could teach me to learn to love the ocean- waves are alright, it's all those creatures swimming with me that terrify me! Happy training, and sending you lots of cheers for Texas.

Ange said...

Bree,I AM A swimmer...started at age 8. That set is my 'native language.' I Did the doubles all my life, it was my family's life with meets every weekend all day, college D1 swimming.. and that set is HaRD! Woah girl! I'm impressed. And now I feel like I want to give it a try. But I need a batch of those super fast swimmer friends like you have! :) VERY VERY Impressed.. you ARE a swimmer now I have to tell you!! thanks for the motivation! And best of luck in TX!! {I raced IMTX last year :) }

Ange said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brant & Elsa said...

I'm not a swimmer (yet)....or a biker(yet) but I am a runner:)
Love reading about your training and your outlook. You inspire me! Thanks for sharing and keep at it! Sending good training/racing vibes to you from Maui:)

mark provenzano said...

Bree, You are an Ironman Champion and a professional triathlete. YOU ARE FAST :) I was thinking of this post as I was doing my swim workout this morning. I am slow but I love everything but the early morning wake up. As usual love your posts!

Crystal Banning said...

It's awesome to hear that I'm not the only one who's comfortable in the ocean but freaked out in the pool! I've been doing triathlon for a year and a half and I just did my first pool swim ever (with the masters group at Kona Aquatic Center, I think you were actually there too!).

Love reading about your training and adventures, and I'm always impressed with how hard you push yourself. Thanks for the inspiration!