Sunday, December 14, 2014

Occupy your territory...


So...
I'll be honest, I was extremely distracted in church this morning.  The waves were loud and it sounded like they were saying my name, also I had my phone with me.  The phone sits in the truck Sunday mornings, except this one. My little sister was running Honolulu Marathon and I was tracking her the way she tracks me every race.  That said, I really haven't a clue what was happening in church except one tiny, tiny, thing that hit me big.  "Occupy your territory". Pretty much, between mile splits and loud waves, I think he was saying we better make good use of what we've been given, where we are, and whom we are with.  We can't be cowards of our lives and their purpose, even when it looks scary and we aren't sure how things will work out.  And sometimes it requires us to be humbled, ask for help, and also to keep on keepin' on because you never know how you're life is impacting another.  Insert: live your dreams, they are our gifts not to waist.

That said, I turned to Kainoa, obviously losing my focus yet again, and asked him what he wants to do today if he could do anything on the island.  We were going to occupy the dreams and desires in his little heart today.  If you're a parent I invite you to try it-tell them, anything!  

He said, "Green Sands Beach, stopping along the way at all the fruit markets, animal spots, and lunch after at a special place". Literally, it was teaching him, for less than half a tank of gas, that truly we can get up, get after it, and make it happen. He had me stopping, backing up, and waiting on the side of the road while he snapped photos of every single animal, tree with signs painted on them, and fruit stand we passed. It was, after all, his day so I worked on my patience while just maybe fertilizing his future as a photographer? A fruit stand owner? Who knows...but we were occupying his territory in this life. 


And then we had enough carrot cake to make my belly hurt and his grin to grow even bigger. Speaking of growing, this week of absolutely no miles swim, bike, or run, I think I grew into my offseason weight before off season is even halfway over!  But no fear, I've got a plan for tomorrow-fill ya in later! 


As for my own occupying of my territory, I am proud to say this is the first off season of my pro career that I am not going to entertain the thought of returning to full time teaching for 2015, but rather be even more of a full time professional triathlete. Kainoa and I have moved into our little, tiny, but super affordable spot in Kona.  We have completely given away, shared, or left behind much of our belongings to start 2015, different...

A few friends have given us so much time, by helping us move, giving us a place to stay the last two months, and even their dishes since we left ours behind. It's been so special to start again and see how much love we have and let ourselves be humbled. And it's been perhaps the best holiday gift ever to see Kainoa so happy and in love with his life beyond anything materialistic. So just maybe I'm a tiny bit uncertain how 2015 will all unfold, maybe I gain some incredible race results or sponsorships to add to the direction my life is going. Maybe part time teaching will remain enough, either way, I'm not going to fear it, we simplified life greatly and will "occupy our territory".


Good night, 
Bree

No comments: